Your Questions Answered
A local council college or university can only offer an academic study of performing arts, not a practical or realistic one.
Further education colleges are not equipped to prepare you for what is a mentally and physically demanding career, whilst higher education courses or university degrees are rarely a path into the industry; university courses deliver an average of only 6 hours contact time in comparison to the minimum of 30 hours a week you’ll receive at SA Performing Arts Centre. The reality is that no director ever asks a performer if they have a degree.
The performer limited to one medium of the arts is limiting themselves to the amount of auditions they can attend and work they can do. It is our aim to create professionals who have no limits
SA students graduate as multi skilled, resilient, industry ready professionals, equipped with transferable life skills, a positive attitude, strong work ethic and an insatiable drive to succeed. SA Professionals graduate with an invaluable tool – industry contacts. There’s some truth in the old adage ‘It’s who you know!’
All students have the option of studying for recognised teaching examinations with the IDTA (dance) and Trinity College London (performing arts) – we have a 100 % exam pass rate with many of our graduates inspiring the next generation of performers all over the world. Many return to SA centre to share their experience and advice with current trainees.
We encourage all students to apply for a student card (NUS) giving discounts to many market leading brands.
Your progression and achievement is regularly monitored through an internal and external assessment programme. Those who successfully complete the three-year course graduate with the SA Performing Arts Centre Diploma. All students are also encouraged to take the following qualifications –
- Trinity Guildhall Performance Arts and, or Musical Theatre, Diploma (NQFC level 4)
- Trinity Guildhall Performance Arts or Musical Theatre, Teaching Diploma (NQFC level 4)
- IDTA Ballet, Modern Jazz and Tap, up to and including Associate
- IDTA Anatomy Diploma
- LAMDA Acting, up to and including Gold medal (level 3, credit value: 24)
We are thrilled to have a 100 % exam pass rate since being established in 2001.
Newcastle has continuously been voted as one of the UK’s favourite places to study. Vibrant, affordable and friendly – did you know we’re less than 3 hours from London.
Read more about our fabulous facilities and location here
As an independent vocational college we like to keep close contact with all our graduates, assisting them to find agents and auditions and to make sure they are continuously net-working within the industry.
Maintaining motivation post-graduation is the toughest challenge for all. Following graduation all SA Professionals are welcome to join in company classes at SA Centre totally free of charge.
Check out some of our student destinations
What we aim to do for you:
- Create an expressive, stimulating environment where you can engage with like-minded people.
- Bring out existing/ natural skills and talents while strengthening and developing new ones making them industry relevant.
- Embed strong techniques allowing you a long and safe career.
- Help you to accept ‘you’ – your strengths and weaknesses. Allowing you to identify things that you can change and to accept the things that you can’t.
- Provide a safe environment for you to experiment and experience all areas of the arts so that you can open your mind to the possibilities available in your career.
- Give you practical, professional experience and advice in a wide variety of mediums from industry professionals who have a wealth of knowledge to share with you.
- Help you to become relaxed, comfortable and confident with yourself as a professional performer.
- Equip you with the knowledge that will aid you in making important and often difficult career choices.
- Advise you of industry etiquette.
- Help to prepare you mentally for the highs and lows of a passionate and turbulent industry.
- Assist you onto the career ladder by opening up your networking opportunities.