Your Questions Answered
Conservatoire colleges like ours are focused on the practical training and performance experience required for a career in the industry. A standard college or university can only offer an academic study of performing arts and UCAS acknowledges that these courses are rarely a path into the industry. At SA Full Time College, you can expect to receive a minimum of 30 hours a week in practical classes in our purpose-built studios. The reality is that no casting director ever asks a performer if they have a degree!
The performer limited to one medium of the arts is limiting themselves to the amount of auditions they can attend and work they can do. It is our aim to create professionals who have no limits
SA students graduate as multi skilled, resilient, industry ready professionals, equipped with transferable life skills, a positive attitude, strong work ethic and an insatiable drive to succeed. SA Professionals graduate with an invaluable tool – industry contacts. There’s some truth in the old adage ‘It’s who you know!’
All students have the option of studying for recognised teaching examinations with the IDTA (dance) and Trinity College London (performing arts) – we have a 100 % exam pass rate with many of our graduates inspiring the next generation of performers all over the world. Many return to SA centre to share their experience and advice with current trainees.
Our intense training is scheduled over 4 days (Monday – Thursday) so that our students can to take on additional work outside of college hours. For those who do need a little extra help with their finances we can offer advice on where to look for grants and scholarships and manageable payment plans.
Throughout each year, progress is monitored through an internal and EXTERNAL assessment programme.
Those who successfully complete the three-year programme will receive the SA Performing Arts Diploma upon graduation.
We have two pathways available for students:
- Students must be aged 16 at course commencement and have not yet studied at the equivalent level
- Students gain a BTEC Extended Diploma in Performing Arts Practice embedded into Y1 and 2
- Students take their Trinity ATCL (LEVEL 4) Performance Arts examination in Year 3
- Students can be any age upon application and may have already studied LEVEL 3 courses (for example, A-Levels).
- Students study either Grade 8 or ATCL (LEVEL 4)* Trinity exams in Year 1 and 2
- Students have the option to take either the Trinity ATCL (LEVEL 4)* Performance Arts or LTCL (LEVEL 6)* Performance Arts examination in Year 3
Each student has the opportunity to undertake teaching examinations to enhance employability upon graduation. We also encourage students to take the following additional qualifications where appropriate:
- TRINITY ATCL TEACHING (SPEECH & DRAMA)
- IDTA BALLET, MODERN JAZZ & TAP up to and including LEVEL 4 DIPLOMA IN DANCE TEACHING
- IDTA ANATOMY DIPLOMA
Newcastle has continuously been voted as one of the UK’s favourite places to study. Vibrant, affordable and friendly – did you know we’re less than 3 hours from London.
Read more about our fabulous facilities and location here
As an independent vocational college we like to keep close contact with all our graduates, assisting them to find agents and auditions and to make sure they are continuously networking within the industry.
Maintaining motivation post-graduation is the toughest challenge for all. Following graduation all SA Professionals are welcome to join in company classes at SA Centre totally free of charge.
Check out some of our student destinations
What we aim to do for you:
- Create an expressive, stimulating environment where you can engage with like-minded people.
- Bring out existing/ natural skills and talents while strengthening and developing new ones making them industry relevant.
- Embed strong techniques allowing you a long and safe career.
- Help you to accept ‘you’ – your strengths and weaknesses. Allowing you to identify things that you can change and to accept the things that you can’t.
- Provide a safe environment for you to experiment and experience all areas of the arts so that you can open your mind to the possibilities available in your career.
- Give you practical, professional experience and advice in a wide variety of mediums from industry professionals who have a wealth of knowledge to share with you.
- Help you to become relaxed, comfortable and confident with yourself as a professional performer.
- Equip you with the knowledge that will aid you in making important and often difficult career choices.
- Advise you of industry etiquette.
- Help to prepare you mentally for the highs and lows of a passionate and turbulent industry.
- Assist you onto the career ladder by opening up your networking opportunities.